1 an ancient Numidian town in northwestern Africa adjoining present-day Annaba in northeastern Algeria [syn: Hippo Regius]
2 massive thick-skinned herbivorous animal living in or around rivers of tropical Africa [syn: hippopotamus, river horse, Hippopotamus amphibius]
- Short form of hippopotamus.
- 2006 "The Eastern Cape village whose dam has been taken over by a hippo will decide next week what happens to the animal." Weekend Argus 24 June 2006.
Hippo may refer to:
In classical studies:
- Hippo (Greek woman), used as an example of chastity by Valerius Maximus and Giovanni Boccaccio.
- Hippo (philosopher), a Presocratic Greek philosopher of the 5th century BC.
- Hippo Regius, the ancient name of a city in modern-day Algeria.
- Hippo, one of the mythical Oceanids, daughters of Oceanus and Tethys.
- Hippo, one of the daughters of the mythical Thespius. She bore Heracles a son, Capylus.
- Hippo CMS, an Open Source Content Management System based on open standards.
hippo in German: Hippo
hippo in Dutch: Hippo
hippo in Low German: Hippo